8/26/08

1st Doctor Appointment

Sean and I went to the doctor this morning for the first time! Dr. Swainston was recently in a motorcylce accident (he's ok, just a couple broken bones) so I had to see his nurse practioner, Jane. I was slightly irritated with this news at first because it was my first visit. Of course I wanted the DOCTOR because I didn't have a clue about what to expect. My attitude changed the very second she walked into the room. She was the sweetest, nicest person EVER! I instantly loved her. She asked me if I had any questions and to all three of our surprises, I didn't! I realized that any questions I had had, had (that's a lot of HADS. . .haha!) already been answered by friends with experience! She told me that I shouldn't listen to everyone and everything that I hear and that I should stay off the internet. I'm not listening to that part! I have so many people in my life that have different experiences with pregnancies, that I feel comfortable with the information I have recieved! (Thanks if you're one of those people!)

So, on to the details. . .which are very few! We found out that I am only 8 weeks along! WHAT? I totally thought I as at least 10. I calculated it myself online (I know, stay offline) with those due date calculators. Apparently I was off. BUT, I think she is off too! The conception date she gave us cannot possibly be right! Sean was out of town! Oh ya, that raised his eyebrow! He looked at me as if to say, "WTF!??!" So if my calculations are off, and her calculations are off, what week am I? She says the baby measured 8 weeks and 5 days. Who knows. Time will tell! I do know that I am bummed to hear I am not as far as I thought because I have gained 5 pounds already and I can't justify it with, "I'm 10 weeks! Almost done with my 1st trimester! I'm where I'm suppose to be!" Now I know that I am just eating WAY TOO MUCH! I'm getting softer by the day. That's not okay. Especially standing next to Sean's rock solid body. How chubby and gross do I feel? (No comment neccesary on the weight gain)

So anyway! We got to see the little heartbeat on the screen. I started crying (of course). It was a very surreal moment. That's it! That's all I have for you! I'll fill you in as time goes on!

11 People Who care:

Amy said...

That is so GREAT! It is crazy to see the heart beat, when I went in at 10 weeks with Michael I was a "High Risk" so they gave me a 3-D Ultrasound... girl it was crazy, he looked like a baby? Not a toad or a polywag, but a real baby and he was doing flips! I could even see his facial features already! It was the most awesome and weirdest thing EVER. That's when it felt real...that I was going to be a mommy.
Good Luck Nicole, Luv Ya!

Kristin said...

You are going to be the cutest pregnant chick ever. Now you will not feel cute, but just know that you are!!! Don't worry in the beginning I wasn't gaining anything and then I gained 7 pounds in one month. That's how I gained, nothing and then wa-bamm! Anymore throwing up?

Froska said...

SO fun! Isn't it so cool to hear that little thing in your body and know that it's really there. Just wait till you start to feel it move around. That's a trip.
Yes I am doing hair. Actually I am an instructor at the Paul Mitchell Partner School. It has been the greatest learning experience for me. I am really lucky, I love it.

So did you go to school? You know who you should work for? His name is Kelly Cardenas, and he has a salon in Henderson. I worked with him at R.C. He is the coolest, funnest, and oh so talented, you really would love him. Look him up. The salon is named after him.

Hope you continue to feel good!

Brittany said...

It is soo exciting to read and see how you are doing, being pregnant is fun. i hated the weight gain and jelly belly too so don't worry about that, the baby is way worth it. Rocky, Brylie and I have our own little, not-updated blog, it's saywatt.blogspot.com incase you wanted to see what we are doing up here in utah. Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy, it only gets better

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Addie-buggie said...

awe! the heartbeat is so cool. Isn't it crazy how fast it beats. It just gets better girl :) luvins

Hillary said...

Jane is really nice huh? I wish she could have delivered my baby instead of Dr. Swainston! Don't worry about the weight gain, I decided never to worry about it until afterwards (and then there is plenty of it worry about! :)
Glad to hear that everything is looking good so far.

Jessica B Photography said...

Just curious, why did you go with Swainston?

Jessica B Photography said...

My sisters & sister-in-law all used him and none thought he was the great. Staci & Hillary both said they would rather have had Dr. Martin and Laura was induced and ended up with a c-section. My cousin also used him and said he was real quick with his appointments. She would literally have to write down her questions she had and say "Wait, I have one more question" to make him stay and talk to her. She was not pleased at all and went with a homebirth on her second pregnancy. So that's all. :) You might want to ask Hillary more what she thinks, since I've never actually met the guy. I did go to his office once and saw his nurse-practitioner (I don't know that her name was Jane though) and there were pictures of him on the wall delivering babies. I decided I'd be more comfortable with a female :) Anyways... That's strange that your insurance won't accept Dr. Martin if they are in the same office! If you are up for shopping around, I've heard really good things about Dr. Steven Harter.

Hillary said...

I went to Dr. Swainston with my first baby and didn't really like him. Not for any reason that he did anything wrong or I think he is not a good doctor, it was just a personality thing I think. To me he is not very personable and I never really felt comfortable with him. It always just felt kind of awkward. So for my second pregnancy I switched to his partner Dr. Martin because he delivered my sister Staci's last baby (Dr. Swainston was still her doctor but he was out of town that day) and she said she really liked him and he was really nice and talkative. So I gave him a try and he was so so much better. He is very friendly and talks to you and makes you feel comfortable (even when you are in a not so comfortable situation -- exams and things). So I guess our personalities just meshed better which made for a better experience. Seems like everyone I know goes to Swainston, I guess we all just go because everyone else we talked to did. :) He is pretty rushed and focused on doing his exam and getting out of there but I never felt like I didn't know what was going on or had questioned that didn't get answered. You just have to have all your questions ready and make sure they get asked or he may be out of there before you have time to think of them all.

Jessica B Photography said...

I was at Costco the other day and saw a multi pack of the Blast-o-Batter and I thought of you.